Read the full contest rules here for a step-by-step list of how to participate.
Step 1 - Check your Eligibility
To enter you must be in Pre-K-6th grade and reside, or go to school, in the WRD service area. Please see a list of the cities we serve below or visit our website for more info.
Step 2 – Create Your Artwork
We are in a drought this year, that means it’s difficult for nature to provide the environment and us humans with enough water to live, grow, and stay healthy. That’s why it’s so important that we understand where our water comes from and practice saving water every day. To help us spread the word on water conservation, please choose from the three topics below for your artwork.
Contest Topic Options:
- Groundwater: The Treasure Beneath Our Feet
- Water Nerds are Water Heroes
- There’s Life in Every Drop!
- How Do You Conserve Water?
To Win, Your Artwork Must:
- Demonstrate the importance of groundwater and/or water conservation.
- Be submitted on 8 1/2" x 11" paper in horizontal orientation by November 6, 2022 at 11:59pm
- Include parental consent: Mail-in entries must include a signed Parental Approval Form (En español aquí). Online entries can use the webform for consent instead.
Don’t get disqualified!
- Artwork must be original: no computer-made or copyrighted materials such as superhero characters.
- If you submit online, keep your original artwork! You will need to send it in by November 30, 2022 if you are selected as a finalist.
- One entry per student only.
- Check out last year’s calendar here.
- Or see all the winning artwork from previous years below.
- For lessons on groundwater and water conservation, check out our Eco Kids online activities!
Step 3 – Submit Your Artwork and Parental Consent
The deadline for students to enter their artwork is Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 11:59PM. You can submit your artwork and parental approval by mail or online.
To Submit by Mail:
- Send original artwork and signed parental approval form (PAF) to:
- Attn: Monica Sijder
Water Replenishment District (ARC)
4320 San Gabriel River Parkway
Pico Rivera, CA 90660
- Click the button below and complete the webform.
- Upload a clear photo of your artwork and provide parental consent.
- SUBMIT HERE
Submit by Email:
- Monica at email@example.com
- Art Work
- Parental Approval Form
Step 4 – The Judging Panel Selects Finalists
The judging panel goes through the hundreds of submissions that we receive each year and looks for how well the topic was addressed with creativity, thoughtfulness, and composition. Selected finalists will be contacted at the end of November.
Selected finalists who submitted their entries using the online form will be required to send their original artwork to WRD by November 30, 2022 to qualify for their prize. So keep your artwork original artwork until then!
Step 5 – Winners Announced and Published in the 2023 Water Awareness Calendar
In early January 2023, twenty-three winners of the contest will be announced, and their artwork will appear in the 2023 Water Awareness Calendar. The Grand Prize Winner will have their artwork published on the cover of the calendar, which serves as the theme for our Annual Groundwater Festival.
Prizes: The 23 winners each will have their artwork published in the 2023 Water Awareness Calendar and receive an Amazon Fire Tablet, a certificate of recognition, a Water Nerd patch, and other school supply goodies.